Hours: Full Time
Location: Kumasi, Ghana
Reports to: Country Programme Manager
How to apply: Send a CV and Cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org
As a group of Social Enterprises (Challenges Group) and a Charity (Challenges Worldwide) we know that if enterprises grow, everyone benefits through increased earnings and stable jobs leading to growth in the wider economy.
We provide innovative solutions that engage, grow and connect people to emerging opportunities for development and investment.
We work predominantly in sub-Saharan Africa providing support to enterprises and people through a variety of practical, technology led programmes.
People – We provide structured, work-based placements and professional qualifications, growing peoples’ skills and connecting them to opportunities in enterprise
Enterprise – We engage enterprises to understand organisational capacity, explore growth options and connect to tailored solutions
Consulting – We deliver a range of consulting services, offering strategic business support and enabling growth connections in trade and finance.
Challenges Worldwide is delivering the DFID funded, International Citizen Service (ICS) programme, working with young people aged 18-25 placing them in enterprises for 12 weeks. Challenges has incorporated our experience and expertise in private sector development into the ICS programme building a unique project that embeds youth in local enterprises. Challenges’ is delivering ICS in Ghana, Uganda, Rwanda and Zambia, with exciting growth across all countries.
Challenges in-country delivery arms work with enterprises and young people, constantly identifying needs and signposting opportunities from within regional and international markets. We create a coherent operating model that is able to deliver relevant information and support to the whole value chain from a local perspective. The Operations Team is responsible for delivering high-quality programmes across our countries of operation. You will be part of an enthusiastic team across the UK and four countries, aiming to support the growth of enterprise and young people.
As Lead Programme Coordinator, you will provide high-quality support for in-country programmes, ensuring programmes are delivered which meet our aims, and the needs of young people, enterprises and partners in-country. You will lead delivery in one site within a country, reporting to the Country Programme Manager
Skills, Experience and Personal Qualities
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills; including excellent phone manner
- Experience managing a team of volunteers
- Comfortable presenting in front of others and able to confidently lead and facilitate a diverse group of people
- Flexible and adaptable with an ability to prioritise a varied workload and meet deadlines whilst coping with the unexpected
- Strong organisational skills with an attention to detail
- Highly motivated with the ability to work independently, demonstrating use of initiative to complete tasks
- Ability to work effectively as part of a team; to communicate sensitively and effectively with other members of staff within Challenges and cross-organisationally
- An interest and commitment to international development and the leading role of young people in development
- Basic numeracy skills and ability to make accurate financial calculations
- Competence in Microsoft Word, Excel, PowerPoint and Outlook
- Fluent written and spoken English
- Previous experience and knowledge of the ICS programme
- Experience of working with 18-25-year-olds from a wide range of backgrounds outside a formal learning environment
- Competency in CRM systems (Salesforce or similar) or Microsoft Access
We are an equal opportunities employer and welcome applications from all suitably qualified persons regardless of their race, sex, disability, religion/belief, sexual orientation or age
- Work closely with the Country Programme Manager to ensure that country strategy is delivered in site of responsibility
- Support partnership development
- Deliver assigned activities in line with the annual plan and country targets, ensuring all programme quality baselines are met
- Assist the CPM in financial reporting, maintaining accurate records at all times
- Carry out administrative tasks and support staff as required, including event coordination, meeting attendance etc.
- Represent Challenges appropriately at external events
- Act as lead/champion in designated area – ensuring an understanding of the area within Challenges work and country of operation
ICS Programme Support
- Lead the support of in-country volunteers and Team Leaders through the ICS volunteer journey, from the stage of application to final action at home stage
- Regular contact with local applicants and volunteers over the phone and via email to answer programme related questions and offer support to attend assessment days, training events and selection
- Coordinate assessment days, working as a selector and attending days as needed
- Support the delivery of in-country training, including orientation, weekly meetings, mid-programme review and debrief.
- Find appropriate host homes and allocate volunteers, conduct check-ins throughout programme
- Support volunteers throughout their enterprise placement
- Support the volunteer Team Leaders (The UK and In-country Volunteers) with personal development goals and in managing teams of local and UK Volunteers
- Support Team Leaders and Volunteer teams on intercultural understanding and working effectively together
Volunteer Security and Safeguarding
- Work closely with the Country Programme Manager to ensure that volunteer safety is maintained at all times
- Act as the security lead for site of operation, ensuring all procedures and processes are followed
- Prepare for and respond to any emergencies, incidents or near-misses of volunteers in country;
- Provide ongoing health, pastoral and support for all volunteers;
- Adhere to all policies and procedures (incident reports, sexual assault, emergency responses, security and safety)
- Keep up to date on country security situations and communicate updates to Operations Director
- Ensure that necessary logistical arrangements are made in good time and at the best value
- Book travel and accommodation where needed, for applicants, volunteers and staff
- Use technical tools effectively such as CRM software (Salesforce) to log any contact and progress with an applicant or volunteer.
- Manage resources effectively, spend programme money responsibly and organise own work to meet objectives on time.
Monitoring, Evaluation and Quality Assurance
- Ensure all relevant information is collected for reporting