Information for 2017/18 Students about UK research analyst opportunities
Challenges Worldwide is an international development NGO focussed on building the capacity of small- to medium-sized enterprises in emerging markets. We have supported over 2000 SMEs across 40 countries, seeking to generate income, sustainable economic growth and impact.
Challenges Worldwide is offering you the opportunity, as a talented and self-motivated student, to undertake a meaningful research project on enterprises and markets in emerging economies.
As a successful applicant, you will work in a vibrant, quickly-growing organisation with a fast-paced and collaborative culture that puts impact first. Located in the heart of Edinburgh, Challenges’ global HQ is an exciting hub of activity related to emerging markets, business growth and development.
Our student Research Analysts are expected to work largely independently or in small groups, with a mixture of in-office and remote working. The programme is structured by a professional qualification with the Chartered Management Institute (CMI). Our Level 5 qualifications in Professional Consulting will give you the tools to complete your work with us to a professional standard – whilst giving you a qualification that is well recognised and regarded by employers. Visit challengesworldwide.com/learn for more information about our training and qualifications
Business Opportunities Analyst
Focussed on business development, your responsibilities would include:
- Analysing data collected from in-country consultancy interventions
- Creating market research reports on local markets for products/services
- Investigating global trends and market opportunities for products/services
- Researching additional products/services related to industries of interest
Data & Insight Analyst
Focussing on monitoring and evaluation, your responsibilities would include:
- Evaluating data collected from SME diagnostic reports
- Analysing the local impact of various projects
- Sharing the insights gathered to inform best business practices
- Streamlining Challenges’ internal database management
Benefits to you
- Independent research on a provided brief that will have a tangible development impact
- Experience working within an international organisation
- Complete flexibility around your study/work schedule
- Receive a professional qualification from the Chartered Management Institute (CMI) at a significant discount
Programs length will be between 3 and 10 weeks and will require a minimum of 10 hours per week.
As part of the induction process, we will work together to build a timetable for the research placement. This will be structured around your work/study schedule to enable a successful research placement alongside your other commitments.
To complement your research, you will have access to the learning material for a Level 5 qualification in Professional Consulting, accredited by the Chartered Management Institute (CMI). To professionalise your experience with Challenges Worldwide, you can choose between either a Certificate (2 units) or Diploma (6 units). See challengesworldwide.com/learn for the most up-to-date prices.
While most of the work can be done remotely, we strongly recommend that you are in the Edinburgh office at least once a week to make the most of the range of expertise available.
Key Competencies required include:
- Working towards an undergraduate or postgraduate degree (or equivalent qualification)
- Strong report writing and analysis skills
- Strong communication skills
- Ability to set and achieve goals independently
- Strong work ethic, reliability and professionalism
- Interest in international development and private sector growth
- For Data & Insight Analysts: intermediate Excel competency
- Experience working on projects with an international team
To apply, submit the application form and your CV to firstname.lastname@example.orgApply
For more information: contact Taryn Cornell
email: email@example.com or phone 0131 564 1588